- Offered on main campus and the Ottawa Center, individually or in groups
- Find out more about traditional tutoring!
Online Writing Center
- Online help for students enrolled in online courses. Discover how the Online Writing Center works!
- Need a space to write where you can ask quick questions of tutors, but don’t need a one-on-one appointment? Take a seat in the Writers’ Workshop!
- Studio sessions are requested by faculty and are attached to a particular course or class. Find out more about Studio Sessions!
- Class visits may be requested by faculty to introduce students to or help them with various aspects of academic writing
- The Writing Center periodically offers free workshops for students on common writing concerns, such as documenting sources or structuring essays. Follow us on social media for announcements! @ivwritingcenter on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.
- The Writing Center maintains an extensive library of handouts on writing subjects ranging from documentation of sources to grammar and scholarship essay writing.
English Language Learners Conversation Partners
- Are you learning English as your second (or third? or fourth?) language? The Writing Center would be happy to offer you a chance to practice your English skills with a native speaker in a easygoing, friendly environment. Speaking a new language is difficult, and we admire all of the time and hard work students commit to learning English. We look forward to speaking with you and learning from you, too! Find out more about conversation partners.
- For brief questions about punctuation, grammar rules, and documentation, you can now email the Writing Center.Here are some examples of specific questions:
Is this a run-on sentence?
Is this a correct Works Cited entry?
Do titles of books go in quotation marks?
Please include your name in your email. For some questions, it will be helpful for us to know which course you are in, what kind of paper you are writing, and what documentation style you are using. Please include any information you think we will find helpful. We will try to respond as soon as possible during our working hours.
Quick Query is best suited for brief questions. For in-depth consultations, schedule an appointment by stopping by the Writing Center, calling 815-224-0637, or using our online form.